About Keaukaha Community Association (KCA)
What is now known as the Keaukaha Community Association, in its infancy was the members of Kuhio Settlement. Its’ primary activity then as it is now is to “…better the conditions of the native Hawaiians…” Over the past 86 years it has existed under other names including the Mothers Club and after the relocation of many of our residents to Panaewa to make way for the expansion of the Hilo Airport it was called the Keaukaha-Panaewa Community Association. For the past 29 years we have been called the Keaukaha Community Association when in 1981, Panaewa Hawaiian Home Lands Community Association (PHHLCA) was formed.
Today the KCA is involved with every aspects of our Mission and Vision statement. We work tirelessly to protect, preserve and perpetuate the rights we have under the HHCA, 1920, We also work to protect, preserve and perpetuate our traditional and customary rights set out in the Hawaii State constitution and always to seek the wisdom of our kupuna. We continue to engage, encourage and promote community pride and participate in all efforts to provide a safe neighborhood for the health, safety and general welfare, while trying to reduce neighborhood tensions doing all of this in our efforts to “…better the conditions of all our native Hawaiians…” all over the State of Hawaii in general but in particular those who reside in Keaukaha.
and try to support the Preamble, Vision and Mission Statements of the Keaukaha
We the native Hawaiians, beneficiaries of the Hawaiian Homes Commission Act, 1920, HONORS the legacy of Prince Jonah Kuhio Kalanianaole Piikoi, who worked tirelessly as a delegate in the Congress of the United States of America in establishing the Hawaiian Homes Commission Act, 1920 as amended July 9, 1921, c 42, 42 Stat. 108